This is my moms special and I am just sharing her recipe here. Everyone at home is fond of this recipe. Do try, I am sure you all will like it.😊
Today I forced her to make the biriyani again, only to come up with this recipe post
- Basmati Rice – 3 cups
- Carrot – 2 medium sized
- Beans – 100 g
- Green peas – 100g
- Ginger – 1.5 tsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Shallots – 15-20
- green chilly – 4
- Jeera powder – 2 tsp
- lemon juice – 1 tbs
- turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Cardamom – 4
- Clove – 3
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon stick – 2 pieces
Note: Preparation and Cooking both together it takes around 1 hour. Rice is cooked in more than double quantity water so that one it is cooked we can drain the excess water. Here Mom has added 10-12 cups of water. With this method, we can avoid the issues of burning the bottom, uncooked or overcooked rice etc
- Soak green peas 5-6 hours.
- Soak the basmati rice for half an hour.
- Meanwhile cut carrots and beans.
- Cook green peas and keep it aside. (1 whistle only is required if you are cooking in a pressure cooker)
- Cook carrot and beans separately. (Make sure not to overcook veggies. You can also add pineapple, soya bean, etc)
- Next is to cook the rice. In the biriyani vessel add 2 tablespoons of ghee.
- Add spices and once it splutters add water.
- Once the water boils, add lemon juice to it and add the drained soaked rice. (Lemon juice added to make rice not stick together)
- Once the rice is cooked drain the excess water, sprinkle turmeric powder on top of it and shuffle so that rice turns yellowish.
- Add oil in a pan, add ginger, garlic, saute for a minute and add shallots and green chilli. After sauteing for 2-3 minutes add jeera powder and mix.
- To this add cooked veggies and green peas
- Finally, add this mixture to the rice and shuffle well without using a spatula to avoid breakage of rice as shown in the figure below.
- Add little ghee on top and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Tasty veg biriyani is ready.
It doesn’t take much time when compared to other biriyani or pulao. Please do try and let me know your comments.